Followers

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The 20's

No I'm not talking 1920's, I'm talking my 20 something years.....This I can remember a little more clearly (you would hope right?)........ I noticed when I was in my early to mid 20's that I was getting migraines during my menstrual cycle and once my cycle was over, the migraines would end. I felt like I had to accept that for a week out of every month, I would not only have to deal with the other flattering things that came with a period, but also migraines. I took it upon myself to mark my calendar and prepare for that god-forsaken week of hell every month. That would mean I may not be able to be 100% at work, or that may mean I would warn my then-husband that I may be a bitch for a week, or it may mean my friends would have to deal with me being a flake and possibly cancel any plans we had last minute.

So it would go, 3 weeks feeling pretty good, one week feeling miserable. That went on for several years until my doctor said "why don't we try putting you on a new form of birth control that makes it so you don't have a period?" "Sounds great" I said............. Well my body rejected that and no matter what I did, my period still came as well as the dreaded migraines.

In 2006 I got a divorce and of course through the tears came a pounding in my head and even though I didn't let the tears stop, I learned my lesson quickly that if I cried my eyes out, I created migraines. Being a naturally emotional person, I tried to be strong when possible but let the tears flow when needed. If they caused a migraine, so be it, I needed to cry.

I began to wonder if the stress of the divorce and starting a new life on my own was causing more migraines so I took initiative to get sleeping pills and any anxiety medication I may need to decrease the stress in my life and get the sleep I needed to. Turns out (as you will read in my 30's post), no amount of decreasing stress in my life was helping the pattern.

In a nutshell, my 20's were a time of learning, growing, playing, dating, grieving a failed marriage, meeting new friends, starting a new business, traveling all over the world, laughing a lot, crying a lot, buying my new home, getting the car of my dreams, building wonderful relationships with family, being independent, etc..... the real journey of finding answers to my migraines started in my 30's..........


No comments:

Post a Comment